2015년 6월 11일 목요일

DSKUSSS Webzine from Paris: Cliché on France regarding Speaking English

One of our members went to France as an exchange student. Since she really loves to share her thoughts in there and she sent DSKUSSS a piece of writing in a letter format. She was especially surprised at the fluency of French people's English speaking. What a interesting! Read this and share your thoughts through comments. Also, thank you Hyunji Yoo for your love and care toward DSKUSSS.

DSKUSSS Webzine from Paris:
Cliché on France regarding Speaking English
Hyunji Yoo
Global Studies
Pusan National University

Greetings from the city of light and love, Paris! It’s not just because I was a president of DSKUSSS before, I feel a huge love and passion whenever I think about DSKUSSS. Plus, I feel grateful to say hello to all DSKUSSS members and fans of DSKUSSS.

Before I arrived at the ground of Paris, I have been heard a lot of times that French people only speak French. Since I was not confident in my French, I was almost afraid of my life here even before it started. “Je sais pas! (I don’t know)” was my premier idea on France and French in general. However, this typical cliché on French was destroyed as I live here mingling with French friends. So far, I’ve never had a serious problem because of the language – of course, there exist some exceptions in the supermarket and my accommodation though. Beyond my first expectation, they have spoken English pretty well.

Throwback my past experiences with them, I think I would be more fluent in French if they could not speak English. Unfortunately, I could not achieve my original purpose to be like a Native French speaker but I at least knew how much they have passion to have a willingness to communicate through English. They recognize English as a global language and feel it as a necessary, or mandatory to live out in this century.

If you have been hesitant to visit France or European countries due to linguistic problems, forget about it and just come! Like my stereotype on France was broken down, you will fully enjoy the culture itself.




댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기